Re: LYNX-DEV Automatic proxies

From: Heikki Kantola
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Automatic proxies
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:01:48 +0200

According to address@hidden <address@hidden>:
> In a recent note, Heikki Kantola said:
> > Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:25:00 +0200
> > According to Kevin R.J. Ellwood <address@hidden>:
> > > I was wondering if you could tell me if lynx will support automatic proxy
> > > configuration (as opposed to manual proxy).  I have read the faq and I see
> > > how I am supposed to set up the unix environment variables for manual
> > > proxy.  However, no mention is made of Automatic proxy configuration
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken, those automatic proxy systems are implemented in
> > JavaScript, which Lynx doesn't support. However, as JavaScript is just
> > text you should be able to extract the needed information for Lynx's
> > manual proxy settings quite easily.
> >
> There are a couple reasons this likely to be unsatisfactory:
>
> 1) If you're planning on doing the extraction automatically,
>    remember that while JavaScript is "just text", that text is
>    the representation of a computer program.  Interpreting that
>    text requires that the extractor be, in the general case,
>    a Java interpreter.

Sorry, no points for the last sentence, Java and JavaScript share just
some part of name and some command syntax, otherwise they're whole
different beasts. But yes, it's quite true that automatic conversion
might be tricky, but manual conversion should still be possible as you
certainly can spot which hosts need to be included in no_proxy-list
and what proxyhost you should use by default.

> 2) Lynx's proxy definitions are static; Automatic Proxy exists to
>    provide dynamic proxy identification.  For example, for a while we
>    had a situation like:
>
>        emporium.stortek.com  requires proxy; otherwise
>               *.stortek.com  requires no proxy; otherwise
>                           *  requires proxy.
>
>    This configuration is handled easily with a couple "if" statements
>    in a script.  In Lynx, it can be handled only by enumerating all
>    the hosts that match the wildcard in the second line, but aren't
>    "emporium".  There might be hundreds.

Um, provided that those proxies aren't different ones for different
URLs I think I that setting no_proxy to "emporium.stortek.com" would
work fine. By default proxies in Lynx do apply to all hosts/domains
not found in no_proxy-list.

--
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola, <address@hidden>
Lähettämällä mainoksia tai muuta asiatonta sähköpostia yllä olevaan