LYNX-DEV LYNX reads "off" from .lynxrc set_cursor=on

From: David Combs
Subject: LYNX-DEV LYNX reads "off" from .lynxrc set_cursor=on
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 05:27:46 -0800 (PST)

I've got a big problem:

I have show_cursor=on in my .lynxrc file, as you
can see down below.

I also explicitly set -show_cursor on the command-line:

{netcom4:287} alias testlynx
/u13/wcheung/bin/lynxtest -show_cursor -vikeys -cache=60 lynx_bookmarks.html
{netcom4:288}
{netcom4:288}

But, when I do "o", it shows it OFF:

              Options Menu (Lynx Version 2.7.1ac-0.111)

     E)ditor                      : vi
     D)ISPLAY variable            : NONE
     mu(L)ti-bookmarks: OFF       B)ookmark file: lynx_bookmarks.html
     F)TP sort criteria           : By Filename
     P)ersonal mail address       : NONE
     S)earching type              : CASE INSENSITIVE
     preferred document lan(G)uage: en
     preferred document c(H)arset : NONE
     display (C)haracter set      : ISO Latin 1
     Raw 8-bit or CJK m(O)de      : ON      show color (&)  : OFF
     V)I keys: ON     e(M)acs keys: OFF     sho(W) dot files: OFF
     popups for selec(T) fields   : ON      show cursor (@) : OFF
     K)eypad mode                 : Links are numbered
     li(N)e edit style            : Default Binding
     l(I)st directory style       : Mixed style
     U)ser mode                   : Intermediate
     user (A)gent                 : Lynx/2.7.1ac-0.111 libwww-FM/2.14
     local e(X)ecution links      : ALWAYS OFF

When I set it on, via "@", hit return to confirm it,
and do ">" to save it, all is fine; it DOES WORK.

But the only way I have found to turn it on is
by hand in this way.

Here is a small piece of my .lynxrc:

   192 # one which does not distingish the current link based on highlighting
    193 # or color.  A value of "on" will set positioning to the left as the
    194 # default while a value of "off" will set 'hiding' of the cursor.
    195 # The default can be overridden via the -show_cursor command line
toggle.
    196 show_cursor=on
    197 # If keypad_mode is set to "NUMBERS_AS_ARROWS", then the numbers on

Also, as experiment I removed all comment-lines, and
here is the resulting .lynxrc, which on running lynx
made no difference: on the "o" page it still showed
"off" (until I by hand turned it on):

file_editor=vi
bookmark_file=lynx_bookmarks.html
sub_bookmarks=off
multi_bookmarkB=
multi_bookmarkC=
multi_bookmarkD=
multi_bookmarkE=
multi_bookmarkF=
multi_bookmarkG=
multi_bookmarkH=
multi_bookmarkI=
multi_bookmarkJ=
multi_bookmarkK=
multi_bookmarkL=
multi_bookmarkM=
multi_bookmarkN=
multi_bookmarkO=
multi_bookmarkP=
multi_bookmarkQ=
multi_bookmarkR=
multi_bookmarkS=
multi_bookmarkT=
multi_bookmarkU=
multi_bookmarkV=
multi_bookmarkW=
multi_bookmarkX=
multi_bookmarkY=
multi_bookmarkZ=
file_sorting_method=BY_FILENAME
personal_mail_address=
case_sensitive_searching=off
character_set=ISO Latin 1
preferred_language=en
preferred_charset=
show_color=default
vi_keys=on
emacs_keys=off
show_dotfiles=off
select_popups=on
show_cursor=on
keypad_mode=LINKS_ARE_NUMBERED
lineedit_mode=Default Binding
dir_list_style=MIXED_STYLE
user_mode=INTERMEDIATE
run_all_execution_links=off
run_execution_links_on_local_files=off
{netcom4:298}

The result of ">" was to put the comments back
in; here is a few lines from a lynx-written .lynxrc:

# default while a value of "off" will set 'hiding' of the cursor.
# The default can be overridden via the -show_cursor command line toggle.
show_cursor=on

# If keypad_mode is set to "NUMBERS_AS_ARROWS", then the numbers on
#

PLEASE: WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO LYNX?

THANKS!