LYNX-DEV Uh oh...

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: LYNX-DEV Uh oh...
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:40:16 -0600 (CST)

After several months of not touching C... I just spent about 3 hours
hacking minicom... and re-figured-out gdb (concluding, after 2 hours
of breakpointing and doing kill -INT blah a LOT :-) that it was NOT
minicom that was freezing up after an aborted Z-modem download but
the host! Sending a BREAK is all it took to get out of the dead
session... whew....)

Anyways, that means that after my last midterm on Wed, I'll be
doing a bit of hacking on Lynx... consider that a warning ;-)

The first thing on MY agenda is a quick HACK to add a date/time-stamp
to the bookmark saving command... my bookmarks are very outdated
and it would be NICE to be able to prevent that in the future. I'll
probably chicken out and instead of hacking lynx to actually verify
them when they expire, I'll hack some shell script (perl if I get
brave... another re-learn) to do the job. I've had some ideas for a
while how to do that...

Second on agenda is a shell/perl module that will do some
serious MUCKING of the bookmarks - the LYNX way... They have
all these progs to do gymnastics on Netscrape and IExploder
and we (heck, make that "I") need that for my bookmarks. A
way of sorting them, moving them around... there will have to
be a lynx hack to not trash any of the hidden (comments) flags
needed... What's really needed is a way to dispatch individual
bookmarks among all the sub-bookmark files... moving them by
hand is a pain. Off the top of my head, I'll have: various sanity
checks on the entries (null titles, unterminated markup, markup IN
entries kill, etc. - consider this a "fix damaged bookmarks file"),
duplicate entry kill, editing of titles, editing of expire/"touch",
and more as I think of it. Merge.. import & maybe export into Netscape
format... hmmm..... Got any more suggestions/ideas?

Sorry, I don't do "portable" or "elegant"... so someone will have to
clean up after me if they want it that way... as usual :-)

Take care.