Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX reads "off" from .lynxrc set_cursor=on

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX reads "off" from .lynxrc set_cursor=on
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:14:31 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Nelson Henry Eric wrote (quoting others):

> > > I have show_cursor=on in my .lynxrc file, as you
> [...]
> > > I also explicitly set -show_cursor on the command-line:

I hesitate to get into this discussion, but I think that the current
behavior is just fine, and in accord with the documentation.
"-show_cursor" is listed as a TOGGLE.  Toggles are common, used in many
programs.  What I would suggest is a clear statement in the user guide
that a "toggle" changes any setting to what is NOT the default.  The
lynx.rc file and lynx.cfg file are there so you don't have to specify
multiple command line options every time the program is run. It seems
that a lot of this discussion is really about making the program
designed to be fault-tolerant for misreading the documentation.  This is
a laudable goal, but not easily implemented.
                              Doug

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)