Re: LYNX-DEV Year 2000 Compliance

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Year 2000 Compliance
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:25:12 +0000 (GMT)

> is it really a coincidence we keep getting identical subjects
> from people scattered around the World ... ?

Not really; everyone is getting them.  The world is just being made
forcibly aware of the problem and banks and suppliers are threatening
to abandon companies which don't have a policy.  As a result, the problem
has just gone up to board level and directives are coming down from on
high, and people are just trying to pass the problem onto their suppliers.
Basically people are being ordered to confirm that their systems are
"Year 2000 Compliant".  I think there has been a worldwide push on
internal systems recently, whereas product suppliers tended to face this
problem earlier.  Freeware tends to bypass the normal buying process,
so hasn't previously had to conform to their standards.

Unfortunately, it is often the case that the answer requires the internal
structure of software to be broken down - e.g. Lynx might comply on one
system but not another - when the trend has been to hiding that structure.