Re: LYNX-DEV spacing problem (was msg00353.html)

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV spacing problem (was msg00353.html)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 06:58:00 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> it reminds me of the way in which collapsing  <br><br>  was introduced
> in 2-6 or 2-7 (whichever it was) without warning, explanation
> or -- it seems to me -- justification
> (no-one has ever pointed out the location of this item in the HTML specs).

How about this from the 3.2 spec:

  Except within literal text (e.g. the PRE element), HTML treats
  contiguous sequences of white space characters as being equivalent to a
  single space character (ASCII decimal 32). These rules allow authors
  considerable flexibility when editing the marked-up text directly.

And since <BR> is defined as:

  BR
  Used to force a line break. ...

compressing out the multiple resulting newline characters from a <BR><BR>
sequence makes sense to me.

Regards,
 Dave Eaton
--
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution
 12629 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite 224; Phoenix, AZ 85032