RE: LYNX-DEV lynx and microsoft

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: RE: LYNX-DEV lynx and microsoft
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:00:12 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Brian Tillman, x8425 wrote:

> Natalia Marmasse (address@hidden) writes:
>
> >Microsoft sites, such as sidewalk.com, do not permit access via lynx.
> >Is there some way around this?
>
> Hm... just tried it with lynx and I got in just fine.

You can get in just fine, and can use the USEMAP for a collection of
cities, but at the top is a selection menu based on javascript. Since
lynx doesn't interpret javascript, navigation is difficult. I was able
to navigate through some of the choices by getting the unrendered source
with the "\" keystroke, picking approprate URL's, and typing them
manually after the "g" keystroke. Some of these also require getting the
source to navigate initially. Statements on the pages that they can not
be browsed are frequently not true. For some sites I created a false
useragent. I am not sure if I could have navigated without this step or
not. These are definitely lynx unfriendly sites, but with some care,
they can frequently be viewed by lynx.

If there is a specific site you wanted to get to, write back to the list
and we can try to give more specific instructions about getting around
the site's roadblocks.
                                 Doug
__
Doug Kaufman