Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER in PRE

From: SUNAGAWA Keiki
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER in PRE
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 12:11:15 +0900

address@hidden (Jason F. McBrayer)  wrote:

KPW> The following behaviour of lynx (lynx2.7.1 up to ac89,
KPW> not tested with earlier versions) appears in
KPW> preformatted Texts.

Jason> [snip, center inside PRE]

KPW> Lynx doesn't switch back to preformatted text after
KPW> leaving CENTER.  text3 and text4 will appear on the
KPW> same line.  As I know, most of html-commands are
KPW> allowed in <pre> </pre> and there seems to be no
KPW> exception for CENTER. Netscape 3.++ handels this
KPW> correctly.

Jason> Have you tried writing a minimal sample like you gave
Jason> above and submitting it to a validator?  My gut
Jason> feeling is that it is _not_ valid html.  You can put
Jason> text-level markup like <em> or <strong> inside <PRE>,
Jason> but not block-level markup like <P> or <div>, IIRC.

Hmm, I tried that on HP-UX 9.05 with slang.

% lynx -version

Lynx Version 2.7.2 (1997)
Copyrights held by the University of Kansas, CERN, and other contributors.
Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
See http://lynx.browser.org/ and the online help for more information.

% lynx -dump center.html

                             Is this in center?

%