Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX low level key mapping - Problems

From: John E. Davis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX low level key mapping - Problems
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:40:00 -0500

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:03:19 -0500 (EST), "T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> said:
>>    #KEYMAP-NAME KEY-SEQUENCE  FUNCTION-NAME
>>      global       "^(ku)"     "move_to_previous_link"
>>      global       "\e[A"      "move_to_previous_link"
>>
>> where ^(ku) indicates that the termcap `ku' string should be used.
>> The last line specifies the standard ansi value for the up arrow
>> escape sequence.  All other slang applications that I have written
>> permit key redefinitions in this manner (MOST, JED, SLRN).
>The strings are termcap/terminfo-level; the latter one is done in tparm (a
>low-level routine of SVr4 curses); the former could be built up from the
>existing tables in curses/terminfo (but preferably using terminfo names, of
>course ;-).

Actually, the slang keymap routines already understand such
psuedo-escape sequences.  This means that an slrn, jed, or most user
can do, e.g.,

     setkey ("goto_previous_line", "^(ku)");

in the appropriate user configuration file (such as .jedrc) and the
program will grab the appropriate terminfo/termcap string.  As another
example, the key sequence `ESC UP-ARROW' would be specified using,
e.g.,

     setkey ("do_the_escape_up_thing", "\e^(ku)");

I chose the termcap form because they are shorter (easier and faster
to parse), and because slang will work on non-terminfo systems.

--John