Re: LYNX-DEV help request for running Lynx

From: Bill Schiavo
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help request for running Lynx
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:14:31 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone.

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Antonio Quatraro wrote:
>
> >     I am trying to use Lynx version of 11/1/98 with no success. Before
> >   running it I sart with pppd or epppd (for ethernet). I get connected
> >   but I do not get Lynx started. My provider runs the following way:
> >   Username: (myserid) Password: (mypassword) its own prompt> ppp
> >   <enter> At this point I get the message "connection succesful"
> >
> >    Maybe I need to set some environment variables to run lynx. My eppd
> > generates an ip-up.bat file containing many of such variables, like
> > mi_ip= ... netmask=...

> I presume from the context that you are trying to run the DOS port of
> lynx. If not, please ignore the rest of this. You must enter the correct
> network information in your WATTCP.CFG file. The netmask, ip address,
> and gateway need to be correct. If you are using bootp, you don't have
> to change this each time, but bootp doesn't work with pppd. If you have
> a static IP address, enter it in WATTCP.CFG. Otherwise, if using a
> dynamic IP address, you need to change the address in your configuration
> file each time you connect. You can do this with an included file which
> is overwritten by the environment variable set up by ip-up.bat, or by
> changing the WATTCP.CFG file itself with sed.

My BLynx386 uses the former method of obtaining necessary network
information because some dos internet programs will not always work with
bootp reliably.  Take a look at the readme file provided with BLynx386 and
the dialer.bat file I use.  I really put a lot of work into trying to
explain in great detail how to set this whole thing up with a minimum of
fuss.

> > Environment variables you need to set are HOME, LYNX_CFG, and either
> WATTCP.CFG or WATCONF (depending on the version you are running). For
> further hints, you might want to download Bill Schiavo's blynx386
> at: "ftp://leb.net/pub/blinux/lynx/blynx386"; or my package for DOS
> at: "http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/lynx2.7.1ac-0.111-DOS.zip"; or at
> "ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dkaufman/lynx2.7.1ac-0.111-DOS.zip";

Also Doug has some useful batch files for telnet, FTP, and sendmail.  Take
a good look at these as you will probably want to use them.

> If the instructions there don't allow you to get going, write to me at
> the below address, and I'll try to help you individually.

  I will also give it a try as well if you write.  my e-mail address is
address@hidden

Good luck!

Bill