LYNX-DEV Lynx and the Future of HTML

From: David Woolley
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx and the Future of HTML
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:00:38 +0000 (GMT)

I've just been skimming a book on HTML design at a local book shop
and it seems to me that, even with the best use of style sheets, HTML
is irrevocably headed towards a page description language.

People are going to ask to be able to view the resulting HTML in Lynx,
because Lynx is an HTML browser.

However, I think the Lynx community is going to have to accept that
it is better to be good at handling pages that are designed for
content rather than image, rather than keep hacking it to make
it work with the latest output from the design consultancies.

Incidentally, I could see no mention of Accept-Language sensitivity
in any of the books, so I can't see that many web designers are going
to make use of the one major aspect of HTML 4 that text mode browsers
can do very well, although it will still help outside of the anglophone
parts of the world.