Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER in PRE

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER in PRE
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 09:11:45 -0500 (EST)

980301 David Woolley wrote:
> It's only a bug if  <center>  is allowed in  <pre> ,
> and I tend to agree that it is not.
> the parser error recovery would have inserted  </pre>  on encountering
> the illegal  <center> , so the actual structure would be:
>
> <pre>
>    text
> </pre -- inserted by error recovery -->
> <center>
>    text
> </center>
>    text
> </pre -- discarded by error recovery, as unmatched -->

this is what Lynx apparently does, but i would argue it's wrong in practice,
because it would be hopelessly bad HTML for anyone to start a  <pre>  block
without finishing it, so Lynx should assume there will be a  </pre>  later,
if only at the very end of the HTML.
we then have a choice to treat  <center>  as centring <pre>'d `text',
or treat  <center>  as overriding  <pre>  temporarily,
so that `text' is centred but otherwise treated as  non-<pre> :
if the latter, Lynx should insert  <pre>  following  </center>
when it finds it, ie immediately before the final `text' above.

Lynx should do its best to make sense of common inaccurate HTML out there,
with a  -stricthtml  switch for those who are straight & narrow (smile).