Re: LYNX-DEV Year 2000 Compliance

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Year 2000 Compliance
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 10:58:29 -0500 (EST)

> Nelson wrote:
> >
> > At the same time the "Year 2000 Comliance" question could be answered
> > in the README file.  It could be one sentence stating that it is compliant,
>
> That could be interpreted as overriding the No Warranty statement; you
> need some weasel words, or a description of how it was tested, and even
> then you will lose some users because the people who are asking generally
> don't have the authority to make judgements.
There aren't any standardized tests (yet ;-) for y2k issues.  As Beta
pointed out, the problems may not reside wholly within lynx, but also in
the older servers (and web pages) that it talks to.

In my job, I did most of the work for a y2k conversion (a system about 5
times as large as lynx, which handles a _lot_ of dates).  It's made a little
complicated because we have to interoperate with older versions of the
system.  So we're still finding subtle issues to resolve.  I expect the
same will be true of lynx.

(Um, yes, it's "compliant", whatever that happens to mean, but no warranty ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden