Re: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version
Date: 01 Mar 1998 12:50:53 -0600

>>>>> "BCWS" == Benjamin C W Sittler <address@hidden> writes:

BCWS> I'm getting an EMX/GCC development environment debugged on a
BCWS> Win3.11 machine. Once I get that going, I should be able to
BCWS> build a 32-bit lynx which runs under Win32s using the RSXWIN
BCWS> extender. (In fact, the OS/2 EMX Lynx port might work.)

Let me know how it goes.  I did the OS/2 EMX Lynx port, and I've
always been curious as to whether it would work under RSXWIN or RSXNT.
My feeling is that it won't for several reasons, not the least of
which is that I have made no effort to deal with the user having short
file-names.  Under OS/2 it requires HPFS, ext2-fs, or some other sane
filesystem, FAT won't cut it.  Maybe with EMXOPT -t (truncate long
file names) it would work; I don't know if RSXNT offers the same
support.

BCWS> Possible obstacles: I don't know if the socket calls work with
BCWS> the Windows extender.

Well, that's the other thing.  Apparently as of a month or two ago,
EMX socket calls now _do_ work with RSXNT.  But, I don't think they
work with RSXWIN; in fact, I don't think RSXWIN supports any kind of
sockets at all.  I could be wrong of course, I have never used it.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                   (R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |