Re: LYNX-DEV Centering tables not working as before

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Centering tables not working as before
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 07:39:25 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, David Woolley wrote:

> Without passing comment on the Lynx rendering...

Er, isn't that one of the things this list is for?

> implicitly HTML 2.0, but contains non-HTML 2.0 constructs ...

It was not supposed to be 2.0, but ... never mind.

> Finally, you've used TD..STRONG, to achieve the effect of TH.

No, actually, I left out the TH to try to keep the size of my post down
... I should have left out the <STRONG>, too I guess since it is not
germain to the issue.

> I can't see how you can process the ALIGNs on the TDs without a rather more
> general implementation of tables.

I'd love a TABLES implementation in Lynx, but lacking that was just trying
to point out a difference between 2.7 and the development 2.8pre version
which other users will see when 2.8 gets released and they begin using it
-- and generating this question themselves.

On more careful reading of the CHANGES2.8 file, I did find Fote's note
of 1997-05-21:
* Mods in HTML.c and LYCharUtils.c so that TABLE blocks are treated
  as divisions in the DIV nest, with a default alignment of HT_LEFT
  if the TABLE start tag lacks an ALIGN attribute, and otherwise, ...

and indeed if I change my table start in my test file to
 '<TABLE ALIGN="CENTER" ...'
I get the treatment 2.7.1 used to have, so I guess this was an intended
change, though I didn't infer that from my first reading of the CHANGES
file. Unfortunately, the "big 2"'s (I hate that term) browsers prior to
4.x didn't honor this construct, so the construct in my example is what I
keep running into on the Web.

To make matters worse, running the page through Webtech's validation
service at  http://valsvc.webtechs.com/ with it set to 4.0 Strict (draft)
tells me 'there is no attribute "ALIGN"' for TABLE, which I suspect will
engourage folks to avoid using it.

> ... real tables stand more chance of the columns aligning if they are
> left justified.)

I don't understand why left justification makes them "real tables", but
further discussion probably would be off-topic, so I'd prefer to drop it
from this list's thread.

At any rate, I have the answer to my original question, thanks all,
 Dave Eaton
--
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution
 12629 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite 224; Phoenix, AZ 85032