Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 object size & long-list

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 object size & long-list
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:39:47 -0500 (EST)

> Re: Sun's compiler and lynx size
>
> Lynx 2.7.1 dev ac-118 on Solaris 2.5.1/SPARC, Sun's compiler, curses,
> externs enabled, nsl-fork enabled, zlib enabled, and using ncurses,
> compiles for me into a 4.5 meg image(!) which strips down into a 4.2 meg
> executable.
>
> What's the configure flag to indicate I don't want -g ?
I don't have the binaries around (deleted after testing), but Sun's compiler
makes binaries roughly twice the size of gcc (because, I think, the loader
format is different).  So ~4Mb may be plausible.

I just checked the compiler options after a configure & can see that one
slipped through - autoconf's using -g for non-gcc builds if you do not
specify $CFLAGS.  I'd rather fix it in autoconf, of course, but had long
ago stripped that out of the configure scripts that I use a lot.  In
autoconf 2.10, only gcc was -g'd but I see that 2.12 does all of them.

        setenv CFLAGS -O
        configure

(I'll make a note to apply the -g stripping to all compilers in Lynx's
configure script; there's already a macro there for that purpose).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden