Re: LYNX-DEV Centering tables not working as before

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Centering tables not working as before
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:01:39 +0000 (GMT)

Dave Eaton wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, David Woolley wrote:
>
> > Without passing comment on the Lynx rendering...
>
> Er, isn't that one of the things this list is for?

I said that because I hadn't investigated the policy issues.

> > implicitly HTML 2.0, but contains non-HTML 2.0 constructs ...
>
> It was not supposed to be 2.0, but ... never mind.

If it doesn't contain a DOCTYPE line it IS HTML 2.0, or lower.

> > Finally, you've used TD..STRONG, to achieve the effect of TH.
>
> No, actually, I left out the TH to try to keep the size of my post down
> ... I should have left out the <STRONG>, too I guess since it is not
> germain to the issue.

<TH>heading</TH> is shorter than <TD><STRONG>heading</STRONG></TD>
so I don't understand your point; the typical rendering is similar
(if you want to override the style, then, after asking why, you should
consider style sheets).

> > ... real tables stand more chance of the columns aligning if they are
> > left justified.)
>
> I don't understand why left justification makes them "real tables", but
> further discussion probably would be off-topic, so I'd prefer to drop it
> from this list's thread.

Real tables meant tables used as tables rather than as a trick to force
physical formatting.  I think I would find columns of numbers which bulged
each side of the centre line rather more difficult to read than ones which
were squashed up towards the left, although neither case is ideal.
In particular, the key field is usually in column 1 and these would line
up in left aligned format.