Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:25:10 -0500 (EST)

980306 Thomas Dickey commented:
> heros are temporary...

until they get into the history books or (better) popular mythology ...

> 980306 Philip Webb wrote:
> >  configure  does not allow users to specify the path to  lynx.cfg
> > at compile time apparently
980306 TD replied:
> it allows you to specify in the configure script, e.g.,
>
>       configure --libdir=$HOME/lib
>       make install
>
> to tell it that
>
>       $HOME/lib/lynx.cfg
>
> is the location of lynx.cfg (but the "lynx.cfg" isn't changeable:

i don't want to change `lynx.cfg', but the PATH to it.
what happens when i specify

 configure --libdir=$HOME/lynx28/lynx2-8  [copied from my script]:

is this illegal?  is it ignored?  does it affect what's compiled?
does it affect only the behaviour of  make install  (which i don't do)?
what happens if i edit  lynx_cfg.h  to give my path for  LYNX_CFG_FILE ?

> that got lost in the changes made to fix LE's problems
> with the first implementation of that option),

what got lost?  what were LE's problems?  where roughly in the Archive?

> but by reducing it this way,
> both the program and the makefile are using the same definitions.

sorry: this is too opaque: i'm not sure what you're trying to say.

bottom line: Lynx should not hard-code any particular path to  lynx.cfg :
it should accept whatever path the user specifies in  userdefs.h
or  --libdir  (if that affects compilation a/a installation).