Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 06:11:29 -0500 (EST)

980306 Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> Quoting from INSTALLATION:
>
>     After applying patches or editing files to correct for an unsuccessful
>     build, be certain to do a "make clean" (or "make distclean" for those
>     using auto-configure) before attempting to compile again.

first, that's buried away in Section VI
& second, it doesn't say anything about removing  config.cache ,
which was the problem in my case (not  make clean ).

so my amended recommendation is that that paragraph needs to be expanded
to warn that  config.cache  may cause problems ( config.status  too?)
& the paragraph should be moved to follow the instructions
for using  configure  earlier.

and -- having slept on it -- i repeat my question:
why does 2-8 take the location of  lynx.cfg  from  config.cache
& not always from  userdefs.h ?  surely that should be corrected.