Re: LYNX-DEV locating lynx.cfg (was 2-8 help: Help!)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV locating lynx.cfg (was 2-8 help: Help!)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 09:00:34 -0500 (EST)

> 980306 Nelson Henry Eric & Jonathan Sergent had a discussion:
> -- lots of thoughts snipped --
> > You can of course run make install and edit the installed lynx.cfg,
> > or run lynx with lynx.cfg in the cwd prior to installing a config file
> > at all, or any number of other things.
> there IS a gap in the advice in  INSTALLATION
> & -- to my mind -- bad behaviour by 2-8 +  configure .
> Lynx should always take the location of  lynx.cfg  from  userdefs.h
> & never from  config.cache; Joe out there should be told (in this order):
Let's call it a limitation for now (it works, and the documentation
describes the behavior).

I think that we can accommodate your request (with more work) by making the
configure script include userdefs.h in a test program which relies on a
different scheme (like that in lynx.cfg, which only makes the definitions
visible if the user adds them).  As structured now, it simply won't pick
up the definitions (or will install the file in the wrong place).  Integrating
all of that won't get done today.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden