Re: LYNX-DEV lynx.cfg & 2-8

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx.cfg & 2-8
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 14:08:04 -0500 (EST)

> 980307 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > Right now I'm trying to fix up some last-minute changes by LP.
> > the issue with lynx.cfg is a trouble spot:
> > are you satisfied with the current state of the documentation?
> > (I don't want to go back into the code right now,
> > since that'll be time consuming).
>
> no, but ok: something is wrong: presumably it's in  configure.in ,
> where at line 275 (approx) the configure run is told where to find
> the location of  lynx.cfg , with a default path as an option:
> that needs to be altered so that on 2nd & subsequent attempts to configure
>  configure  ALWAYS goes back to  userdefs.h  at that point
> & NEVER takes the path for  lynx.cfg  from  config.cache :
> i don't know (1) whether it's easy to fix those few lines
> or (2) whether there's some wider problem -- which you seem to hint at --
> which prevents that sort of quick fix.
It may/may not be easy: I've not spent much time making the configure
script work on re-execution, since there are some things that are
interdependent.  (Lynx's configure script is fairly quick -- you should
try the ones for tin & vile, which have tests for the functions we've
found not prototyped...).

The quick fix is just to remove config.cache so that the configure script
doesn't remember what it last determined.

> so if the quick fix would work, please do it today for 2-8;
> otherwise, put it down for 2-8-1 in a few weeks after bug reports are in.
>
> as for  INSTALLATION , that needs reorganisation as i proposed earlier today
> & i would volunteer, except that parts of it are outside my knowledge;
> however, if the quick fix (above) works, it's not necessary today,
> while if it doesn't work, the changes to  INSTALLATION  will have to wait
> till 2-8-1 is perfected anyway.
ok - there's always more to be done.

--
Thomas E. Dickey