Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 14:06:41 -0500 (EST)

> Another suggested change is to move the userdefs.h define out of the
> "YOU MUST CHANGE THIS ON UNIX" section. (Maybe this happened in pre.5.)
> This surely could confuse first time installers who don't know how things
> "used to be".
I don't remember deleting that comment (sorry).  Will add to the nit-list.

> >& second, it doesn't say anything about removing  config.cache ,
> >which was the problem in my case (not  make clean ).
I added a note explaining that to INSTALLATION.

> This option should not be in userdefs.h at all for Unix, it should be in
> a separate section.  Right now it's in a section that says "you must
> change this" and then there is a comment next to it that says "don't
> change it" and INSTALLATION says "do change it" (or did say that).  If
> someone would re-arrange userdefs.h slightly then the average Unix users
> would have an easier time.  I would do so but I'm in Chattanooga for the
> week while my machine is back on campus.
It'd also be simpler if we delete the pre-autoconf stuff out.  Since we
don't seem to have a mandate requiring us to keep it, that's 2nd or 3rd
on my list for post-2.8 (removing unused & obsolete code).

> I personally don't touch userdefs.h at all.  Essentially everything that
> is in there that is not a security option is configurable at runtime with
> lynx.cfg, or at least that was the design principle.
I don't touch it either (which is why I have not closely read the comments
there (all right: CAPITALS SHOULD MAKE IT NOTICEABLE ;-)
- mostly it's supporting non-Unix configurations.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden