Re: A vote for BOTH userdefs.h and lynx.cfg [was Re: LYNX-DEV help: fina

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: A vote for BOTH userdefs.h and lynx.cfg [was Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 05:23:17 -0500 (EST)

> I feel a wind saying do away with userdefs.h, so just in case, I put in
> a strong vote to NOT do away with the POSSIBILITY of making all defines
> in userdefs.h.  Runtime configuration is fine, but I sure wouldn't want
> it so a person HAD to do it that way.  It seems to me runtime configuration
> should only be used for overriding the compiled in configuration.
I don't intend to do away with it (there are far too many definitions to
absorb in a configure script, in any case).  Phil will remind me during the
next cycle to see if there's a simple way to incorporate userdefs.h into a
default for the location of lynx.cfg (tying it to --libdir is a convenience
though).

-- I think that removing the Unix-specific definitions which are derived by
configure already would make userdefs.h easier to follow in any case.  I'd
left them alone since there was the possibility that someone might want to
maintain the non-autoconf Makefile, but that doesn't appear likely (or even
desirable).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden