LYNX-DEV post-release distribution site configuration

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV post-release distribution site configuration
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 17:34:53 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what T.E.Dickey said:

> btw, while we're on the topic:  I think it's best to make a page that
> covers both 2.8 and 2.7.2 - essentially move Fote's page & link to that,
> with a summary of the differences.  At the moment there's a directory
> named 'release', which Fote created, and I think there's room for 2.8
> there as well - but the index.html should be adjusted.

I believe this violates the model that Fote clearly indicated
over and over.  The release/ directory or URL tree is for the
current release of which there is only ever one.  Talk to Scott.
release/ may simply be a soft pointer, moved to the latest in a
series of version-numbered directories.

You can install a front page as the default document within the
Lynx-2-8 directory tree which acknowledges and links to a start
page for 2.7.2, but it should be discussed with "supersedes"
semantics.  In what you get when you navigate to release/ it
should not be given equal treatment.

I believe that I am articulating namespace principles that Fote
would support [as he clarified them].

Al Gilman