Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:29:33 +0900 (JST)

> Oh, one note, I did a make install, and then a make install-help, and to my
> frustration, I noted that a sed script took my carefully crafted HELPFILE
> URL (http://www.slcc.edu/lynx2-8/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html) and changed
> it to a file://localhost/usr/local/lib/... URL. The lynx2-8 directory being

Since this is a major thread right now, I'll keep jabbering on.

Look at it this way, it's a fail-safe mechanism.  If the lynx image looks
where the files were placed when it was installed, chances are it will find
them.  It doesn't make much sense to install the help files locally, but leave
the default to Subir's web page.  It's easy enough to add a HELPFILE line to
lynx.cfg if you want to and are able to do http or nfs.

> one I was going to create to hold these files, assuming that since the
> machine's primary task is as a web server, that unless something was
> drastically wrong, the http server better be running and reachable, and that
> such a URL was therefor of potential use to others (I still have 2-5, 2-6,

Sure you can do this.  I _personally_ (my methods are not always the best)
install the help files on only one of three machines on the same LAN.  The
Lynx on the machine I install on reaches the pages as a file://localhost,
but it COULD be configured otherwise.  At the same time, I set up the httpd
on that machine to allow access to the lynx_help directory so that I can serve
it to the Lynxes on the other machines that have no disk space to spare.
(Also allow mounting on that directory by one other machine.)

__Henry