Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 07:20:12 -0500

> Look at it this way, it's a fail-safe mechanism.  If the lynx image looks
> where the files were placed when it was installed, chances are it will find
> them.  It doesn't make much sense to install the help files locally, but leave
> the default to Subir's web page.  It's easy enough to add a HELPFILE line to
> lynx.cfg if you want to and are able to do http or nfs.

I sure disagree with that.  If I install the help files on a local www server,
the chances of the name resolving are much higher than if I have to go out.
Likewise, some folk may be set up to have an intranet but not external
net access.  However, just because I am installing inside doesn't mean
that folk are going to have direct access to the help files - I can guarantee
that the pc and mac folk here are only going to access the help files via
http...

I would prefer to see install-help leave the URL exactly the way I code it -
if I want a localhost URL I will type one.