Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx HMTL capabilities

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx HMTL capabilities
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:11:47 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what David Kenny said:

> Am in the beginning stages of programming a website.  I want to
> make sure that the site is lynx-compatible.  Please advise on:

> 1.  resources to draw from (http:// ???)

www.htmlhelp.org
www.anybrowser.org
www.w3.org/WAI/GL
www.crl.com/~subir/lynx.html
lynx.browser.org

> 2.  what HTML standard (HTML X) applies
>     to the most widely held version of lynx.  (Lynx 2.5)?

Not a useful way to characterize the problem.  Lynx supports HTML
3.0 advanced functions that other widely-used browsers don't.  If
you are shooting for breadth, design to an any-browser model and
test with lynx among others.

Bobby has a Lynx-compatibility check mode.  This is not a
complete replacement for live interactive testing with Lynx, but
if you Bobby-check all pages and periodically get some lynx users
to take your site out for a spin the combined effect will be good
for the site.

www.cast.org/bobby/

> 3.  Want to incorporate tables and forms into the site.  Possible
>     with Lynx?

Forms, almost no problem.  Tables, almost no solution.  But see
the links from

www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/lynx/FAQ for some ideas.  text search
for "tables"

How much generative processing do you have in the way you refresh
the content on your site?  Tables are an area where dualizing the
site with list-formatted alternative pages may be the best answer.

> 4.  Can Lynx support Java, or only CGI-BIN scripts?

No java.

Al Gilman