Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!

From: Personal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:44:17 -0700 (MST)

Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden> writes:
>Scott McGee wrote:
>> Oh, one note, I did a make install, and then a make install-help, and to my
>> frustration, I noted that a sed script took my carefully crafted HELPFILE
>> URL (http://www.slcc.edu/lynx2-8/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html) and changed
>> it to a file://localhost/usr/local/lib/... URL. The lynx2-8 directory being
>
>Look at it this way, it's a fail-safe mechanism.  If the lynx image looks
>where the files were placed when it was installed, chances are it will find
>them.

Ah, but that's the problem. I don't want them where it placed them. You see,
(and keep in mind that I know that my configuration here is somewhat unique)
I keep the help for older versions online (good idea or not?) so if I leave
the files where they were placed, they'll get overwritten. Thus, I now have
to COPY them to another location (you, Henry, I am sure can understand my
reluctance to waste space thusly) or I must move them and go in and restore
the URL that I already specified.

Now, let me make two points here. I DO NOT feel that anything here needs
addressing for 2.8! I DO FEEL that post-2.8, something should be done so
that if I _specify_ a HELPFILE location, that location is used, rather than
_overwriting_ it to place them in a default location. I agree with the need
to provide a usefull default, but if I go to the trouble of specifying a
different location, that location should be honored. I understand how the
current process works, and am not sure how best to modify it, but do feel
that some change should be made.

Perhaps what is needed is a way to specify HELPFILE as an input to configure
and then letting configure handle it. Maybe, instead, just an option to not
modify the HELPFILE string when running make install-help. Maybe you'll all
decide that my situation is sufficiently unique to not need supporting (though
I still feel it wrong to blatently ignore and overwrite installer specified
information - if nothing else changes, warn the installer not to bother
specifying it if they will run make install-help)

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!