Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx HMTL capabilities

From: Personal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx HMTL capabilities
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:37:19 -0700 (MST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> writes:

>to follow up on what David Kenny said:
>
>> Am in the beginning stages of programming a website.  I want to
>> make sure that the site is lynx-compatible.  Please advise on:
>
>> 2.  what HTML standard (HTML X) applies
>>     to the most widely held version of lynx.  (Lynx 2.5)?
>
>Not a useful way to characterize the problem.  Lynx supports HTML
>3.0 advanced functions that other widely-used browsers don't.  If
>you are shooting for breadth, design to an any-browser model and
>test with lynx among others.

My own advice on this issue is to make sure that whatever version of
HTML you use, that you validate your markup! Lynx (and other browsers)
handle valid markup well, but differ in how they treat invalid HTML.

On the PC, Webber will allow you to validate your HTML as you write
it. Otherwise, web based validators are availible. You might try:

WebTechs' HTML validator - http://www.webtechs.com/html-val-svc/
A Kinder, Gentler Validator - http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gerald/validate/
Doctor HTML - http://imagiware.com/RxHTML.cgi

>> 3.  Want to incorporate tables and forms into the site.  Possible
>>     with Lynx?
>
>Forms, almost no problem.  Tables, almost no solution.

Actually, Tables can be coded to work in Lynx as well as other browsers,
but it is not advised for those who don't thoroughly understand the way
that lynx works with tables, how to markup tables to not show in lynx, and
how to markup the table data not to show up in other browsers. Put it this
way, I and others have created table data that works well in lynx. The
easiest way, however is to avoid tables!

>How much generative processing do you have in the way you refresh
>the content on your site?  Tables are an area where dualizing the
>site with list-formatted alternative pages may be the best answer.
>
>> 4.  Can Lynx support Java, or only CGI-BIN scripts?
>
>No java.

No JavaScript either. All scripting must be server side, either SSI or CGI.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!