Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 18:09:38 +0900 (JST)

> better. Does anyone have a good description of how to determine if that's
> needed without building Lynx?  I'm left with the impression that there's a

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer, but my understanding
is that it is simply a matter of whether or not the resolve routines
have been integrated into the system libraries or not.  In the days of
bind4.9, you were tagged "yellah" if you didn't do it.  Integration is
no longer supported nor really encouraged since bind8.

I believe the routines were:
        gethostbyname                   getnetbyname
        gethostbyaddr                   getnetbyaddr
        gethostent                      getnetent
        sethostent                      setnetent
        endhostent                      endnetent.

If the Sun routines have been overwritten in libc.a or libc.so, then
you don't want to link to -lresolv (get a "collision"???).  If you have
the broken (or missing?) Sun routines, then you need to link to -lresolv.

However, libbind.a is infinitely better than the old libresolv.a, so
once it is determined whether or not you should be linking to the new
static library, a search for lbind should be made (default location is
/usr/local/bind/lib, but may have been /usr/local/lib for a brief period),
and if it is found, use it rather than lresolv.

So can some one point out what was faulty with the old routines (only
gethostby* concern Lynx?) and devise a simple compile test that would
make them fail?  I do remember something about there not being an
external routine, strerror, in the Sun libc, and that libresolv uses
it.  Or, perhaps it is simply that the gethostby* routines are not even
in the old Sun junk at all, so really all you'd have to do is search the
library tables and not even have to make a test.  Not sure any of this
helps, but FWIW ...

__Henry