Re: LYNX-DEV lynx - tcp/ip

From: lc
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx - tcp/ip
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:10:29 -0100

> Date:          Fri, 6 Mar 98 09:50:21 EST
> From:          "Lloyd G. Rasmussen" <address@hidden>
> To:            address@hidden, address@hidden
> Subject:       Re: LYNX-DEV lynx - tcp/ip

> On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:42:10 -0100,
> address@hidden  <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >I am a danish teacher, who has a little problem with Lynx. I have a
> >blind pupil, who can not use Windows on her workstation. We get our
> >TCP/IP-protocolstack within Novell Client32 and it works fine. Out
> >of the house we have a permanent open connection, so that we don t
> >need to dial up. We can ping any computer in the hole world. But
> >Lynx.exe does not function. It tells us, that there is no
> >ppacketdriver loaded, Which sounds strange.
> >Can anyone help os please? It is very urgent for the blind girl.
> >

> Greetings from a Danish man (both sides of family) who grew up in
> Iowa and uses Lynx under DOS with the Vocal-Eyes screen reader.
>
> You need to clarify a couple of issues.  I assume you are using Lynx
> under Windows 95.  If so, your student will need to be running the
> Lynx/32 version that runs in a DOS box inside Win 95.  Either that, or
> she has to be running Lynx/386 with a packet driver that looks like
> Ethernet.  That's what I do here at work:  I use a program that makes
> the IBM Token-Ring adapter look like an ethernet adapter, part of the
> Crynwr Packet Driver set, and called ibmtoken.com, and run Lynx/386
> under DOS 6.22.  To test Lynx/386, try it with the null packet driver
> nullpkt.com, specifying that Lynx should load local files only using
> the -localhost command-line switch.  It may be that with a couple of
> shortcut keys, she could be running Lynx/32 from a DOS prompt within
> Win95, without having to have a Win95 screen reader.
>
> Another solution is to run a DOS communications program and have her
> computer talking to another one that is actually running Lynx,
> either by RS232 cable connection or by modem.
>
> Let me know if any of this makes sense.
>
> -- Lloyd Rasmussen
> Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
> National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
> Library of Congress          202-707-0535
> (work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
> (home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/
>
> Dear Lloyd.

Thamk you veru much for your answer. I will try your suggestions and
let you know, if it works. We are not using WIN95, but DOS622 because
my blind pupil Katrine has a characterbased interface called
"LOGTEXT" with "touchpins". She can not use any OS with a graphic
userinterface.

Greetings from
Lars Christen and Katrine.
Lars Christensen