Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:01:50 -0500 (EST)

> > How about adding the following to lynx.cfg?
> > (Don't bother with LYCurses.c....)
> >
> > COLOR:0:white:black
> > COLOR:1:yellow:black
> > COLOR:2:brightcyan:black
> > COLOR:3:brightblue:black
> > COLOR:4:green:black
> > COLOR:5:magenta:black
> > COLOR:6:white:blue
> > COLOR:7:white:red
> >
> > This is what I use and is very good for
> > someone with vision problems.
>
> I can't believe that it hasn't been done yet.  Actually I think it
> at one time was changed, but somehow the old one creeped back in.
I don't think it was actually changed (this would be last May or so?).
Mostly I remember arguments about colors wrt the color-style code.  But
whether it's a black background, or white, I have terminals that do a lousy
job on each.  (In fact, a black background will be absolutely unreadable on
FreeBSD's console, because whoever implemented that didn't use the normal
intensity for colors - I don't know how that relates to BSDI's programs).

I'm currently using the 'default' color for backgrounds, since it lets me
set the background to whatever's appropriate for the terminal, and (if we
have to change things) would recommend that we support that instead.

As a matter of fact, since LE's apparently using slang, she should be
able to set an environment variable to get this effect -- something like
$DEFAULTFGBG.  With ncurses, I do it differently.  (SVr4 curses won't
do either, since this is an extension).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden