Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:08:15 +0900 (JST)

> I don't think it was actually changed (this would be last May or so?).
> Mostly I remember arguments about colors wrt the color-style code.  But
> whether it's a black background, or white, I have terminals that do a lousy
> job on each.  (In fact, a black background will be absolutely unreadable on
> FreeBSD's console, because whoever implemented that didn't use the normal

Just so my problem is understood, it doesn't matter a bit what the
background is for the Fujitsu FMDPC642 because it will be black no
matter what color is set.   What matters is the foreground.  If the
foreground is black, as the present default is for COLOR:0, you get
a blank screen.  In my situation, any foreground color besides black
and blue (yeah, they really bruise me:) is acceptable.  This is an
architecture incompatability problem, and cannot be fixed by any
setting on the host (same essential reason that lpansi will not print
on these machines).

I have a FreeBSD console available (although the NEC98 porting patches
make some improvements in color handling among other things), so what
I'll try to work in these last few days is some time to find a compromise
between Laura's, yours and my needs.

Is there anyone else out there who has a particular _need_ (not talking
about preferences here) for color combinations for the 8 (actually 7
since #3 is not implemented) colors defined for slang and curses?  Note
this has nothing to do with the experimental style-sheet code which uses
the color scheme read from lynx.lss.

> I'm currently using the 'default' color for backgrounds, since it lets me
> set the background to whatever's appropriate for the terminal, and (if we
> have to change things) would recommend that we support that instead.

Agreed.

> As a matter of fact, since LE's apparently using slang, she should be
> able to set an environment variable to get this effect -- something like
> $DEFAULTFGBG.  With ncurses, I do it differently.  (SVr4 curses won't

Laura, here's a good hint to check into.  I'll also see if it will do
anything for me.

__Henry