Re: LYNX-DEV more about wells fargo, schwab

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more about wells fargo, schwab
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:14:17 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Nicholl Environmental wrote:
>BTW, connecting to the above site with US-Netscape 3.01 yields the same
>report, except the cipher is identified as RC4-MD5.  It would appear that
>some sites (eg Schwab, Wells Fargo) which check for 128-bit browser
>encryption do so _not_ by analyzing the cipher stream, but by simply
>identifying the user agent and comparing that against an "approved list"
>of browsers/versions. -*sigh*- more Lynx discrimination...
>
>We should urge the companies we do business with to put Lynx-ssl on any
>such lists, or better, to use an analytical method for determining browser
>encryption capabilities.

So I just sent them feedback.

I hope others will send feedback too.

In the meantime, is there a workaround?  What can I change the
browser name string (whatever it's called) to to spoof it?

Also, who was the Wells Fargo guy previously on this list?  Maybe
telling him about this directly would be good too.