Re: LYNX-DEV more about wells fargo, schwab

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more about wells fargo, schwab
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:14:28 +0900 (JST)

> >report, except the cipher is identified as RC4-MD5.  It would appear that
> >some sites (eg Schwab, Wells Fargo) which check for 128-bit browser
Are you absolutely sure they are checking the agent string?  In the past,
approximately 1 year ago, they were not, although there was movement at the
time to rely on published specifications of browsers distributed only in
binary form.  They were being forced to do this to protect the vast majority
of their customers as best they could.  Almost all SSL-enabled Lynx binaries
are run on a remote host that people are logging onto.  These people are
not protected by encryption between the host and their PC.  Also, there is
absolutely no way that WFB, nor anyone else, can know what code was used
to generate the binary of a particular Lynx image, nor to know if it was
built and configured correctly.

If you are confident enough in your skills, then just change the agent
string in the O)ption menu, although I would highly recommend against
doing it if for no other reason than the warning you will get when you
do attempt to change Lynx's agent string interactively.

> Also, who was the Wells Fargo guy previously on this list?  Maybe
> telling him about this directly would be good too.

This is not appropriate on a public list.  This man/woman may have
his/her job on the line, family relying on his/her paycheck that could
be jeopardized by statements directed to his/her capacity as a bank
officer, etc.

If you are a customer of WFB, write to them directly.  You do not need
SSL to reach their website and send requests.  I would recommend that
you talk first to your local branch manager; and if you don't get results
(in the form of a letter explaining what I said above), then write or
phone customer service.  If it can be shown that in order to conduct
business with them that you MUST have Lynx, they probably would build
one for you (might require deposits in excess of $50000 :).

__Henry