Re: LYNX-DEV Some suggestions

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Some suggestions
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 18:59:32 -0800

On Sat, Dec 13, 1997, FrEdY <FrEdY <address@hidden> wrote:

(You might want to check your mail app's setup, unless you started
this message several months ago and postponed it...:))

    [...]

>       I'd like to make some suggestions:
>
>    - Inclusion of a 'GOTO CURSOR BUFFER' option. Sometimes, the cursor
>      is over a LINK, but I want to go to 'part' of the link.
>      Example:
>      The cursor is over 'http://www.example.com/users/me/index.html' and
>      I wanna go to 'http://www.example.com/users/'.
>      With actual Lynx, when I press 'G', I can't see what the cursor was
>      pointing at, so I have to remember the link , and it's embarrasing.

Use 'E'.  This gives you the current link's URL to edit and go to.

This is something I've wished for, and not realized was available, so
thanks for prompting me to dig around and find it.

Incidentally, on the "keystroke help" page, this ('E') is mis-filed
under 'Dired' commands, rather than 'Other'.  It is correct on the
next-level dired_help and other_help pages, however.

>    - Another variant of this one is 'GOTO DOCUMENT BUFFER':
>      When I'm on a WEB page, for example, the same as above, and I'd want
>      to go to 'part' of the address that contains the document.
>      With an option like this, it would be possible, and it's really
>      useful.

Isn't this 'G'?

    [...]

>    - Forms have the 'x' option for NO CACHE. Why don't you enable this for
>      all links? I think this way is better than going to the cache document
>      and press CTRL R to reload it.

I think this is already the case.  From
"lynx_help/keystrokes/other_help.html":

       x      - Force submission of form or link with no-cache.
                                         ^^ ^^^^
    [...]

>       PD: I've seen that Lynx 2.8 has been released today. Maybe it
>           contains some of these hints, but I haven't tested it yet!

You're still out of luck on the "silently-accept-all-cookies" and
Java, but I think the rest has been around for a while.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>