Re: colors (was: Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?)

From: Scott McDermott
Subject: Re: colors (was: Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 00:55:00 -0500

John <address@hidden> on Wed, Mar 11, 1998 at 10:12:32PM -0500:
> I know I'm jumping in late here, but what is wrong with good
> old black text on a white background?  To me (old, glasses
> not legally blind yet, not pushing or selling or lobbying
> for anything) that seems as if it may be the best default.
> Only a thought!

Personally I hate this, it makes my screen glow such that it could be
used as a lamp and kills my eyes, plus it takes away the "information
floating on nothing" idea.  White (or, because that also makes it too
bright, grey) text on black (ie no) background is superior IMO.  But in
any case, that's why colors can be configured.

BTW is this done through the stylesheet? The defaults are quite nice as
I see it but a few of them are almost illegible, such as when one goes
to http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no and gets back hits, the dir perms are really
bad.  Note this is with screen=ncurses, color-style and default-colors.

> This is not meant to be a flame, only a thought.  I was just
> wondering why colors are so important.

Personally, because straight text is boring.  Color makes it easier to
digest and just generally makes it a better environment.  This is
obviously highly opinion-based.

--
Scott