Re: colors (was: Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?)

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: colors (was: Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 07:14:42 -0600 (CST)

You (T.E.Dickey) wrote:
> > Perhaps a seperate little program that sets ONLY the configuration
> > parameters, writes/edits the user config file, and THEN starts lynx
> > with all the settings in effect? That would get around any nasty
> > "goto"s in the code to re-set everything... or force user to restart
>
> maybe (who's going to write one?)

Oh, sorry, I forgot :-) Uhm, me. Now that I'm "multi-tasking" school
and life, that actually adds some more "time" to my schedule... provided
I figure out a way to "suspend" my hacking ;-) ;-)

[Is that enough for a Twilight Zone episode?]

> > What does a typical curses program compile to these days? (minimal
> > actual code)
>
> There's no "typical" curses program, but Lynx uses a
> lowest-common-denominator (mainly due to the VMS and slang interfaces,
> which are stuck in BSD-isms).
>
> It depends on the system - a majority of the ones we're configuring have
> either (vendor-supplied) SVr3 or SVr4 curses.  It will build/run with BSD
> curses, but is not recommended since that provides only highlighting
> attributes.  (SVr3 has underlining and boldface, while SVr4 adds color).
> That's Unix.  We can use ncurses on all of the Unix boxes, and that's a
> clone of SVr4.  The VMS systems seem to be a hybrid of BSD and SVr3.  Win32
> has PDCurses, which is roughly SVr3 curses, with some color added.
>
> (slang has a quasi-BSD curses interface, and implements color with different
> but equivalent functionality to SVr4).

Ok, but that doesn't answer my question. As a ballpark figure, generally
how large is a small program linked with, say, ncurses (since these
people will be most interested in this anyways). 50K? 100K? 200K?
I know that minicom, stripped & linked with ncurses is ~80KB... and
there's a LOT of code. So, I figure that something that toys with the
colors and slurps in and spits out a config file should be << 50KB.

I don't want to do this in perl because all the windoing libs I saw
(and I did look) did NOT use ncurses that I could see. Most were
functional (but crude) clones of ncurses... and that's NOT what we
want here... because we want the colors picked in that program to
be the SAME when lynx boots up... ie. create colors with the same
engine that will use them. My thinking... could be wrong.

I'll give it a go over the next week... don't hold breaths :-)

Take care.