Re: LYNX-DEV more about wells fargo, schwab

From: Personal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more about wells fargo, schwab
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:16:19 -0700 (MST)

"Brian Tillman" <address@hidden> asks:

>  Moreover, Netscape has made Navigator's source availalble
>for all (http://www.mozilla.org/).  How, pray tell, does Wells
>Fargo have any assurance Navigator is any safer than Lynx?

First, last I looked, the code was not yet availible. Second,
according to the docs I read (at www.mozilla.org), the SSL will
not be included in the released code, so you can't build an SSL
capable Netscape from just thier code.

I assume that Netscape will take the latest approved version of
the publicly availble code, add SSL and other removed items, and
build the Netscape Binary from it. That binary will be as secure
as it is now and likely be backed by the same assurances from
Netscape. What you build from your copy of their code is something
else entirely.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!