Re: LYNX-DEV 387 emulator

From: Bill Schiavo
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 387 emulator
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:34:37 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone.

Are the any patches necessary to build lynx with wmem?  I would like to
try it and get rid of emu387.dxe.

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Ian wrote:
>
> > Im new to Lynx ports although Ive used Bobcat a bit.
> > Ive been trying to set up Lynx_386 but the 387 emulator
> > supplied on www.fdisk.com ..emu387.exe crashes my 386
> > every time (EMM386 stops the machine if its there. If
> > its not the machine hangs anyway) Anyone had similar
> > problems and overcome them?
>
> I assume you mean emu387.dxe. This is not an executable that you run. To
> have this work with lynx you need to set the environment variables
> 387=N
> emu387=full_path_to_emu387/emu387.dxe
>
> Lynx will automatically use emu387.dxe when necessary. The emu387.dxe
> emulator has some problems, and does not completely emulate a 387 chip.
> You might want to try the binary I built with emulation built in. This
> uses the wmemu library ported from linux, and is said to do better
> emulation. You may need to set 387=N in the environment but don't need a
> separate emulator. You can get it from:
>
> "http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/lynx2.8pre.2-DOS.zip"; or
> "ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dkaufman/lynx2.8pre.2-DOS.zip";
>

> > Secondly, Im puzzled as to the purpose of the DMPI
> > program thats also needed before Lynx_386 will load.
>
> This is the Dos Protected Mode Interface (DPMI). This allows the program
> to access the system's full memory, instead of being restricted to
> the first megabyte. Lynx_386 is compiled with DJGPP, which is a port
> of the GNU gcc compiler. It produces 32 bit code which needs a DPMI
> to run in a 16 bit DOS environment. If you put CWSDPMI (CWS is for
> Charles W. Sandmann, who wrote this DPMI program) in your path, lynx
> will automatically look for and run it, removing it from memory when
> done. You don't have to do anything else with it.
>
> I haven't gotten any feedback since I built in the wmemu emulation. Let
> me know how this compares to emu387.dxe, if you can get the latter to
> work also.

Probably the reason for this is because most of us run 486 based machines
or higher.  I myself don't have any reason to use math emulation but for
those who need it, wmem might be the way to go.

Doug > __
> Doug Kaufman
> Internet: address@hidden (preferred)
>         address@hidden