LYNX-DEV Enter f'name for Print to File: relative path vs dotfile; edit

From: Randall
Subject: LYNX-DEV Enter f'name for Print to File: relative path vs dotfile; edit previous
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:50:51 -0800

I happened to start lynx in a directory other than my home directory
once again; when I found a web page I wanted to save to a file, I tried
to give a relative path like
      ../Subdir/filename.txt
but lynx said
    Alert!: File name may not begin with a dot.
Uh, that's the pathname, not the filename; and the filename does NOT begin
with a dot.  Lynx should be able to distinguish relative pathnames vs.
dotfile names.

Secondly, at the "Enter a new filename:" prompt, it should allow me to hit
up-arrow and edit the previous.  If i make one typo in one component of a long
pathname, I want to be able to just go and fix it, rather than having to type
out the whole pathname again.  This would also be very helpful when
D/ownloading several files, e.g. to some ~/Snarf/Dos/ dir (not hypothetical).
Oh yeah, with D/ownload as well as with P/rint to file.

Now what would be real nice is tcsh/emacs-style filename completion at the
"Enter a filename:" prompt.  This would of course be more work, and it would
introduce one breakage of backward compatibility:  TAB in this context would
change from meaning end-of-input+do-it.  I don't consider that a problem;
RET for end-of-input+do-it and TAB for filename-completion would be great.
Would such change be a problem for anyone?

Of course, i've also thought of the idea of having completion with G/oto,
but I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea, or whether it would
primarily serve to generate excessive Net traffic.

Also, the suggestion on the to-do webpage to allow change of pwd [cwd] without
having to restart lynx is a good idea.  That would be very useful to me
when P/rinting to file and D/ownloading.
<www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html>

My specific version of lynx:
I have lynx-2.7.2 of 1998Jan06 + 272fixes of 1998Feb07 + lynx272SSLeay
for Slackware 3.0 Linux 2.0 on i586.
=randall   <address@hidden>