Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with www.citizen.org choice-list

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with www.citizen.org choice-list
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:44:10 -0500 (EST)

980316 Scott McGee wrote:
> 980316 David Combs writes:
> > I cannot get this to work:  go to www.citizen.org (ralph nader site),
> > cursor down to black fill-in to left of "[BUTTON]", and hit return.
> > You will get a choice list; cursor up to say, MAI (or any other item).
> > Hit return (or L) -- it just substitutes that chosen item
> > for what was there before, into the black fill-in area.
> > If I now hit return to eg go to that chosen place,
> > I just get the choose-list again.
> The problem you are having is due to a poorly programmed web page.
> They are using a javascript to do navigation, and haven't bothered
> to make it usable to browsers without javascript support. In fact,
> the code may not work WITH javascript but without mouse events.
> If I were you, I'd complain to them about it.
> Seems that a consumer-protection site should be able to help you
> get access problems due to browser discriniation fixed!

hear hear!  St Ralph is getting old & his acolytes aren't obeying his Rule.

there appear to be a number of things wrong, even to me:
(1) (probably the real problem for DC)  <input ...  has no closing  >
    (i don't mean  </input> , which is illegal: i mean simply  > ):
    this is a very careless typo;
(2)  onclick="change(this.form)"  is presumably Java:
    Lynx should recognise  onclick , but may not recognise the action;
(3)  <form ... >  has an incorrect attribute  name ,
    but lacks attributes  action  &  method .
i believe (1) is the problem:
Lynx doesn't find an action before  </form>  appears.
here are the relevant lines, in case anyone else can add some wisdom:

    <form name="pulldown">
        <option selected value="www.citizen.org/autosafe.htm">Auto
Safety</option>
       -- snip --

      </select><input type="button" value="Go there"

Lynx simply renders  [Option___] [BUTTON]  (right justified).