LYNX-DEV http programming

From: bburgess
Subject: LYNX-DEV http programming
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:33:34 +0000

Well, I might get shot down in hot flames for asking this, but,
lynx is a super browser.  I am very interested in writing a browser
myself.  Possibly with svgalib support.  Possibly under djgpp.  But I
would like to write a simple graphical browser without so many bells
and whistles as the normal ones, that is smaller than a meg.  I have
looked at the code to lynx, but it has certainly grown since I first
saw it many years ago.  Can anyone help me with info as to a location
for a library that can request html documents and images that
wouldn't be too complicated.  I am a C programmer, so it doesn't have
to be that simple.  Just something that would get me started so that
looking at lynx code wouldn't be so overwhelming.  Any help is
greatly appreciated.  And my resulting code will of course have the
general public license on it.
Dont get me wrong, lynx is super.  I wouldn't mind helping to create
a svgalib version of it if such a thing were ever desired.  Lynx
kicks ass.  I would just like to make my own contribution in this
world of 8+meg browsers.