Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx on Win95

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx on Win95
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:34:00 +0000 (GMT)

> I have a fully registered version of winzip, and if we can figure out the
> best installation setup, would be more than happy to create a self-extracting
> archive for Lynx that could include such things as the icons, a desktop or

I'd have reservations about self extractors for a couple of reasons:

- if they don't already have pkunzip/Info-ZIP unzip/winzip and know how to
  use it, they are almost certainly not sufficiently computer literate to
  be trying to install a highly configurable text mode program like Lynx;

- if I suspect that a file is a self extracting ZIP file, I'll explicitly
  use unzip on it, as I can look at the documentation etc. without any
  risk from viruses.  Also, if I know this, I can extract it under Linux.

Incidentally, if you know that someone has unzip or pkzip, you can make
a self extractor by simply prepending a batch file which runs the unzipper
on itself.  This is even easier on Unix, where you know your own file
name.

> I have a fully registered version of winzip, and if we can figure out the

Make sure you are allowed to distribute the extractor; pkunzip itself
needs either a royalty on every self extracting file or a much higher
license fee (can't remember which at the moment).