Re: LYNX-DEV Java/JavaScript

From: Mark H. Wood
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Java/JavaScript
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:01:08 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> 980319 David Combs wrote:
> > Mar 17, 1998 Philip Webb wrote:
> >>  <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> : should Lynx be trying to read it?
> >> but also, all the JS is enclosed in  <---  --->
> > 1: Staying within text-only mode, is there any way
> >    for lynx to at least SAY what the problem is,
> >    ie that this is java-only page, or that it has java-script on it?
>
> it would seem very simple for Lynx at least to alert the user,
> since the JavaScript is enclosed in  <SCRIPT ... > ... </SCRIPT> :
> i picture a suitable formatted `Message from Lynx' inserted in the page;
> it could perhaps be done for image-heavy HTML too;
> any problem about adding this for 2-8-1 ?

For example:

        Blah blah blah [Script] blah....

You could "follow" such a "link" if you had an external viewer configured
for an appropriate content-type, or download it into a file and just read
it yourself.  Of course "Script" would be replaced with the alternate
text if the composer were savvy enough to provide any.

Whether an external viewer for Java/JavaScript would be useful in a
particular case would probably depend on just what the code was intended
to do.  I'd probably just make it a shell script to say "Some bozo is
throwing Java at you.  Duck!" or "The little JavaScript attacks the
browser and, in an astounding flurry, gets burnt to a cinder.  The ashes
blow away."

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   address@hidden
One more time:  a (level-2) switch is a bridge.  A "level-3 switch" is