Re: LYNX-DEV Java/JavaScript

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Java/JavaScript
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:20:36 -0500

 ] They won't be bundling Java (it's licensed from Sun).  Have they built
 ] their own JavaScript implementation?  (If not, the same applies).
 ]
 ] --
 ] Thomas E. Dickey

Java has nothing to do with JavaScript!

JavaScript was their design AND implementation.  They own 100% of the
JS code and are going to release it.  Sun does not have a JavaScript
implementation as far as I know, why would they?  It's just another
scripting language.  (In my feeble understanding) there are hooks to
let you call Java methods from it, but that's no different than
calling C functions from a Tcl script or C++ methods from a Python
program.

Above is from my regular skimming over the last few weeks of the
netscape.public.mozilla.* newsgroups.

--jss.