Re: LYNX-DEV Help files

From: Personal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Help files
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:54:47 -0700 (MST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> writes

>to follow up on what T.E.Dickey said:
>>
>> > The http: URL for retrieval from the distribution breakout goes
>> > in the lynx.cfg file that applies if neither of these directives
>> > is invoked.  If either of these directives is invoked, then the
>> > active LYNX_HELP_FILE value in lynx.cfg is edited to show a file:
>> > URL to the installed local help tree.
>
>> But how does this fit with Scott's goal of not modifying the lynx.cfg
>> file during install?
>
>Sends us to a requirements-discovery dialog.  Modifying lynx.cfg
>vs not modifying lynx.cfg is means.  We need to compare the ends
>that Scott and I are trying to reach.  I want the default value
>of HELPFILE in the system-wide lynx.cfg to vary consistent with the
>decision to install Help or not to install Help.  Scott, can that
>be made consistent with the install process you want to use?

Hmm, at the end of a long week, I feel like I only understood half of
that, but what I want is to be able to specify the HELP URL (either
in lynx.cfg, a configure option, or whatever) and not have it changed
to a FILE://... URL when I install the help. I don't ask (though it
would be nice) that the installation process be able to install the
help files in the final location, just that I can specify an HTTP
URL and not have it changed. If I _DO NOT_ specify, then the current
behavior of changing it to correspond with the location where the
HELP files are installed is fine. In other words, I may have a better
HTTP URL for the specified file location and don't want it changed
to a FILE:// URL if I specify it.

Is that clear, or should I try again tomorrow after some rest?

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!