Re: LYNX-DEV You'll love "progress"...

From: Mark H. Wood
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV You'll love "progress"...
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:49:56 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, David Woolley wrote:
[deletia]
> If you want to convince people to do things right you need to demonstrate
> to them that:
>
> - you have money to spend;

Like a few months ago when I was trying to decide what brand of
automobile to buy?

> - you have alternatives for spending it with companines which do run
>   Lynx friendly site (name them);

Honda's site was quite Lynx-friendly at the time.  Chrysler's was
absolutely impenetrable.  Toyota's was painful but (just barely) usable.

> - the lost profits from you and similar users will exceed the cost of
>   training people to do things properly, and those lost from being later
>   to market because of longer development times.

Let's see, cars cost something like $17,000.00(US) *each*....

Something to think about:  correcting sites one-by-one is exhausting and
not terribly rewarding, but if *enough* big-ticket sites all got the
message, they'd probably twist some arms to get the fancy-schmantzy HTML
editors updated with rules to *require* alternate-content tags, or at
least to always prompt for them.  Not much chance of this happening, but
one can always dream.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   address@hidden
One more time:  a (level-2) switch is a bridge.  A "level-3 switch" is