Re: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version

From: afn06760
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 05:43:23 GMT

>     * From: address@hidden
>     * Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:08:37 GMT
>>     * From: "Benjamin C. W. Sittler" <address@hidden>
>>     * Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:46:31 -0700 (MST)
>>On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Wayne Buttles wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed there have been a few new requests for a win16 version of lynx.
>>> I am not against this idea, but the project is outside my ability level.
>>> Since I have a very short memory I tested a Win16 compile of lynx again to
>>> remind me what the biggest problems are.
>>>
>>> First, there were all kinds of strange errors.  I'm baffled by most of
>>> them, however, this isn't really the biggest problem.

I'll tell you what they are:  You are using a win32s compiler that only
recognizes 8_3 file names, and the lynx source uses long file names.
The other point is that most or all win32s compilers also support LARGE
model code, which should be adequate for a compile of lynx after the
included .h files longer than 8_3 have been edited.

I should also mention that tcl/tk is a win32s project.  If they can do it,
so can lynx.