Re: LYNX-DEV lynx requires httt://

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx requires httt://
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:22:24 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi,
>
> I have told lynx to use a proxy in the config file:

> What can I do to make Lynx accept www.dr.dk as a valid URL?

It's not a valid URL; it's simply a short cut introduced by the GUI
browsers.  If you see this in any machine processable context you should
complain to the author.

I suspect your basic problem is that none of the URL guessing logic is
invoked with proxies.  Most of this is for good reasons; namely that
the browser can't try connecting to verious host names to see if they
respond to port 80.  I've not checked the code, but it might be interesting
to know whether you get an error from the proxy, in which case you should
ask why the proxy isn't fixing the broken URL, or directly by Lynx.

In the former case, you may need to modify the Lynx code to prepend http:
before forwarding to the proxy.  In the latter case, you may need to add
special case code to force no scheme URLs to be forwarded to a distinguished
http proxy.  I suspect you will find that the proxy code doesn't treat
http special.